Wednesday, January 12, 2011

the letter "S"

As a slightly obsessive logophile and grammar junky, I spend an inordinate amount of time contemplating and studying spelling, usage and pronunciation of different words as well as the fascinating technicalities and implications of language; the overwhelming (and incredibly disturbing) movement to "text language" has only deepened my passion for vocabulary and sentence structure.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the letter "S," and I've come to the conclusion that "S" is an under appreciated yet incredibly rad member of the alphabet. So much excellence begins with the letter "S."

Think about it: show jumping, swearing, skiing, seahorses, streaking, spandex, semicolons, stripes, slip 'n slides, shopping, skipping, sabotage, synchronized swimming, sinning, sweeping, surfing, salaciousness, sphinxes, singing in the shower, seagulls, sulking, solitaire, sciaphobia, sparkles, sharks, sciolism, scrabble, seismographs, sangria, semantics, silk-screening, sea serpents, swing sets, shimmying, sandwiches, stilts, spectroheliokinematographs, stealing street signs, scuba diving, stomping, suede, superstitions, silliness... I could go on and on. Some of these things are my own interests, but most of them are just fun to say out loud.

One of my favorite non-word words of all time also begins with the letter "S," and I can't say it without smiling (another excellent "S"). Seriously. Try saying "supercalifragilisticexpealidocious" (ˌsuːpərˌkælɪˌfrædʒəlˌɪstɪkˌɛkspiːˌælɪˈdoʊʃəs) without chuckling a little... it's not possible.

I recommend saying it out loud when you're having a bad day.
You're welcome.

No comments: