Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bougainvillea vs. Poinsettia: A Comparison


I kind of absolutely adore bougainvillea.


From Hawaii to Palm Springs (and everywhere in between where I've happened upon this particular flower), I've absolutely adored bougainvillea. This pretty little flower is also highlighted in one of my favorite songs, "Passing Afternoon" by Iron & Wine. I love both the name and connotations that are often paired with this multi-colored bloom. After all, it's way better than another flower I know... the misleading POINSETTIA!


Perhaps the most two-faced flower of all, this blossom associated with all things winter is actually a native of balmy climates! Don't let the poinsettia's red and green coloring fool you, these dudes prefer the hills of Hawaii to the chillier weather that they are most often associated with. Impostors.



However, let it be known that poinsettia is one of my all-time favorite spelling bee words. Nothing like one-upping a fellow unsuspecting 4th grader with the knowledge that while poinsettia is often pronounced POINT-set-A, the correct spelling is somewhat misleading as it has no T at all.


Bottom line: bougainvillea's awesome. Poinsettias are assholes.

No comments: